Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Swank vs. Hole-in-the-Wall

I worked late, it's Friday night.

I had plans to see a friend’s band play. I had plans to go upstate. I had plans to go to the movies. I had plans to go to Morgan's bar, drink get somewhere between buzzed and drunk, (You know, that happy spot that's nestled right between there) then afterwards go to a golf coarse and have lots of sex - yes outside on the golf coarse!

But I'm tired, I woke up this morning thinking it's Wednesday - hmmm... possibly Thursday - TOTALLY in shock once in office and realized it's FRIDAY - When did that happen?!

So now it's Friday, I lost a day or two - great. What drugs did I do?? - KIDDING- I'm a drug free gal. Ok meanwhile I'm sooo not dressed to see friends band play, and another friend calls to cancel, she can't make the show. Sister calls me about 20 minutes later to tell me no upstate trip this weekend. Alexis still wants to go to the movies - still debating on that - after movies I still could go to Morgan's bar.

I look a tad crappy. My hair is flat and unlife-like, definitely not the usually bouncy head of hair I'm use to. Face - ok I could use a touch of make-up. Clothes - they are so-so, at least they're not the messy Friday ensemble I through together. Pants heels and a top - alright.

After leaving the office I decide to walk instead of dealing with dreary smelly subway, stopping in a store or 2 on the way. Then, I see it, approaching closer - the SwankBar is coming up. I make sure my clothes are straight and nothing is stuck up/in or hanging out anywhere.

I often pass the SwankBar - lots of people my age - chatting, drinking, and flirting in their business attire after work. I always think to myself while passing - Should I be in places like that after work with friends/co-workers? Part of me does think so and part of me could care less.

Ok now fully approaching SwankBar, lots of boys outside smoking, head up, chest and back up out and straight, feet facing forward - (no duck walking) and put on the strut! As I'm slowly passing I see a girl sitting at the bar - Becky!- yes Becky from High School. I want to go in and say hello but she's seated intimately at the bar talking to some guy. And then just then as my eyes quickly scan the rest of the SwankBar I see another girl sitting with many others. She's facing the giant open windows - its JAP. My arch enemy - then Best Friend - then arch enemy again. I know her too from High School.

Luckily before passing SwankBar I fixed clothes, flipped hair and put on my sache/strut. As I pass - we make eye contact - I slyly roll my eyes, turn my head and strut along pass the SwankBar.

Ok, so I played cool, did well. But the rest of my walk I wondered -

Two girls from High School are in my SwankBar on an early Friday evening.

(Enter Panic)
SHOULD I BE DOING THIS?? AM I MISSING OUT??

I'm 26 and I spend my Friday nights at the local hole-in-the-wall-bar where Morgan works, or at the other hole-in-the-wall-bar where everyone knows your name (or at least I know everyone's name).

Should I be Sex-in-the-Citying it up at swanky bars??? Should I be downtown in funky/cool rock bars??

Am I NOT UTILIZING a social life pathway I should be? - WILL I REGRET THIS????????????????

-But if I choose to go to swanky bars - who do I go with?
Alexis - She'd never go
Sister - Same as above
Alas, I need friends - but this isn't exactly about me needing friends - it's about my choice of social venues.

I start to feel a tad pathetic...
*************************************************************************************

Post Weekend Update:

Friday night - Ended up sitting home on my couch watching movies - I suck am loser girl!
Later that weekend I find out, I'll be going out to some swanky bar this coming weekend - I suddenly realize while I dread going - part of me is a tad excited... JUST A TAD.
If I had a choice - I'd go to Morgan's hole-in-the-wall-bar.

9 Comments:

Blogger Arashi-KIshu said...

Quarter life crisis.

I would also prefer Morgan's bar. At least I don't have to act "plastic," and I know the people keep it real!

8/23/2005 9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two girls from high school are in that bar....SO??

That was high school. PLUS, for all you know it's their first time there. ANd for all they know, you were on your way to meet a hot kinky lover that satisfies you more than any boy in that bar could.

Do what feels right for YOU. :)

8/23/2005 10:45 PM  
Blogger Joey said...

Awww thanks girlies - you both totally made me feel better~!

8/23/2005 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Part of me likes dive bars, another part of me likes swank bars. It all depends on whether or not I want to put gel in my hair and starch my shirts.

8/24/2005 1:33 AM  
Blogger Charlie Fowler said...

You rock Joey!

8/24/2005 4:20 AM  
Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

I'd love to see that strut...:-)

8/24/2005 6:52 AM  
Blogger The Great and Might Os said...

Joey,

As a bartender who is pretty snotty about where I socialize in my time off, I go on record as saying the neighborhhod, hole-in-the-wall bars are the greatest. Swanky bars have entirely too many pretentious A-holes and too many girls sitting around waiting to be noticed (or have a drink bought for them). The dive bars have the true characters. Great conversations, funny stories, cute girls/guys with little attitude and the friendlies bartenders.....

Os

8/25/2005 2:02 PM  
Blogger Joey said...

Zith - I'm not keen on the boys with the starched button downs and gelled hair - stick to the dive.

Wayne - Hello there Officer!

Emmanuel - Lol, thank you. To be honest I've really just become familiar with my strut. Friends told me about it, and Morgan has said it too and now I love that I have it!

Quanzer - Lol those girls don't have it like me - never did and never will. JAP was always jeolous of me.

PSG - Lol, sorry hun I can't do that.

Oswald You are 100% right. Anytime I've gone to some swank bar I really didn't have a good time. But when I'm sitting on the worn-in bar stool in my jeans at the hole-in-the-wall with Joe my local bartender serving me up a nice cold beer - I feel at home!

8/26/2005 1:47 PM  
Blogger The Great and Might Os said...

Joey,

Just call me "Joe"

9/01/2005 1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home